.

Bridgeville Man Dead After He Fills Bathroom with Poisonous Gas

A man who apparently used the fumes from a charcoal grill burning inside his home's bathroom to commit suicide forced police to evacuate an entire neighborhood next to Upper St. Clair.

UPDATE 12:30 p.m. -- A man who apparently used the fumes from a charcoal grill burning inside his home's bathroom to commit suicide forced police to evacuate an entire Bridgeville neighborhood Tuesday morning.

Authorities said Charles Krohn sealed himself inside his bathroom shower stall, turning the room into a makeshift gas chamber at his home at 35 New York Circle.

Bridgeville police Chief Chad King said the man’s wife awoke Tuesday morning to find notes on the bathroom door urging no one to come in or turn on the lights. She called police, who decided to evacuate about 10 homes in the area near the Upper St. Clair Township border because they didn’t know what gas was used in the apparent suicide.

“Once we saw what was going on we immediately exited,” King said. “I didn’t want anyone else to be harmed because of an explosion or poisonous gas.”

Numerous firefighters and police officers arrived at the quiet cul-de-sac shortly after 8 a.m. The Allegheny County Bomb Squad and fire marshal also were called to the house.

A bomb squad robot was used to monitor the bathroom. When it was determined there no longer was a threat from the fumes, firefighters ventilated the house and medics pronounced Krohn dead at 11:17 a.m.

King said police were previously at the house on Sept. 12 while assisting federal investigators with a search warrant. While there, they noticed equipment in his garage that appeared to be a makeshift gas chambers, King said.

“He was preparing,” King said. “It was quite obvious.”

Krohn was taken to St. Clair Hospital for a psychological evaluation and released on Sept. 17, King said.

King referred questions about the federal investigation to the FBI, which was also on scene. FBI officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

This article first appeared on Chartiers Valley Patch.

william atwell September 25, 2012 at 03:40 PM
Scarey. Guess someone finally went Coo coo for cocca puffs
william atwell September 25, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Such a shame.
william atwell September 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Few questions if he was taken to St Clair why was he allowed to 201 himself instead of being 302? This is what frustrates EMS. When you have a person this bent on killing themselves and no one wants to step up

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »