Weather Prompts Warning from USC Fire Department
In other fire news, a new vehicle has been added to the fleet.
The Upper St. Clair Volunteer Fire Department issued a warning to residents on its Facebook page.
It said that because of the very low temperatures, carbon monoxide poisonings and chimney fires are a concern.
"We ask you to keep a close eye on your fireplaces and furnaces. An issue with your furnace can cause carbon monoxide to be pumped throughout your house without you even aware. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, deadly gas. If exposed, you will develop flu-like symptoms.
"Second hazard is chimney fires. Ensure your chimney is free of debris and the lining inside is clean."
If you have concerns, you're asked to call the fire department at 412-835-0660.
The fire department also shared a photo of a new addition to its fleet—a 2012 Dodge pickup truck equipped with tool boxes, an airpack, ropes and other tools.
"This truck will help us in our ongoing effort/goal to keep our community safe," according to the Facebook message.
Click here to "like" the fire department on Facebook.
Click here to "like" Upper St. Clair Patch on Facebook.